Tuesday, April 6, 2010

All the World is a stage

Oh boy, if the current TV lineup is any example the whole world really is a stage. "Reality" shows abound I keep wondering just where it will all end but I don't think we've seen the last of them for a long, long time. I try to limit my TV time throughout the week, but sometimes it seems that that is the only activity that I have time for. Yeah, yeah, I know - an excuse nothing more.

As you may have noticed, the current trend is addictions and the kicking thereof. OMG, there is a major ick factor with this genre. Although the extent of my exposure to this "entertainment" is limited to their repetitive commercials. I can't help but wonder why anyone would watch this stuff. Of course, I think the same thing about DWTS and the Kardashians, whoever the hell they are!

When I was in college - not so long ago, I used to have a sinful indulgence of watching Entertainment Weekly before I started on homework. Since I didn't have cable that was only one of a handful of channels my old rabbit ears could pick up. Nonetheless, as classes got harder my TV time became more restricted until the only thing I used the TV for was the news, an occasional video and for someplace to set my beer.

Now that I have cable I've discovered that I still only watch a handful of TV shows and most of those are on the traditional networks. I used to watch the History channel religiously, but lately I rarely watch it due to its migration into the sensational "reality" shows with axe men, ice road truckers, ghost, and monster hunters filling the lineup, it seems history has become history on the history channel - big sigh for us history geeks....

Yes, I do watch the weather channel, something that I would never dream of doing in my younger days, can't get by without my "local on the eights".

Well, the bell just rang so it's back to teachering.

Woody


No comments:

Post a Comment